I. Before Applying
a) Do I qualify?
All applicants must meet the eligibility criteria.
b) Do I have the relevant documentation?
Applicants must have on hand to submit when requested, original/certified copies of the following documents:
- Academic transcripts and certificates (and translations where relevant),
- Up-to-date information regarding employment background
- Details and letters from two (2) referees (professional or academic) in support of your application. If you are unable to attach letters from your referees, please ask them to write to us when requested.
- Birth Certificate
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)/Resume
- Valid Passport
- Passport Photograph
- Proof of residency
c) Have I identified the course and university I would like to study/attend?
Applicants are advised to identify the universities they intend to study at.
Click here for information on participating Universities.
d) Do I have reliable internet access?
All application forms must be completed and submitted online. Special Needs applicants should contact the British Council if assistance is required.
An active email address is required to begin the online registration process.
e) Is my personal data up-to-date?
Applicants should ensure that all personal data is up to date and that supporting documents are current i.e. passport, home and work address and employment contract.
II. Filling the application form
- Click on ‘Countries’ and select your country
- On the country page, relevant information specific to scholarships available in countries is provided
- To start the application process, click on ‘Apply Online’ on the quick menu to register
- Follow instructions on setting up an account. Confirmation of username and password will be sent to email address used for the registration. Log in if account is already setup or you want to recover your forgotten password.
- Now log in and view the application form
- Applicants will be required to answer to four (4) key questions that will form part of the personal statement in the application form. Applicants should state relevant examples to demonstrate their suitability according to criteria stated above. Note that a strong personal statement can set you apart from other applicants.
- All fields are mandatory and applicants must ensure to fill in every field with the correct information.
- Applicants can save the application form at any point in time and continue later. Once application is submitted it will no longer be available for editing, it can only be viewed.
III. Additional Information
Below are additional information and supporting documents that will be required at a later stage in the application process and must be provided by each applicant.
- A full medical report will be required from successful applicants
- Applicants must inform British Council of anything (such as previous convictions, associations with terrorist organisations or previous refusal of a visa for the UK, Ireland or France) that may be an impediment to securing a visa or entry clearance to study in the UK, Ireland or France.
- If any information provided by the applicant should change (changes that could have an effect on the scholarship application), the applicant should contact British Council immediately.
- All application guidelines and conditions should be read and understood by applicants.
- Applicants are advised to check that all information provided in the application form is accurate and clear before submission.
- Only short listed applicants will be contacted to proceed to the next stage.
- Get supporting documents ready as listed in (I) b) above.